Wednesday 10 December 2008

Focus Group

I finally did it =]
I decided to use my parents because I wanted to have the opinion of someone who was both a father and a son, I also wanted to see how the relationships in the film effect a female audience simply to add a new dimension to my research.
(Shows a clip of indy and his father in the zeppelin)
Do you think that this conversation effects the audience more than it does the characters within the scene?
Dad: yeah I guess so because they argue a bit and then it just ends theres no....
Mum: Resolution, I also think that it helps the audience out because it sets everything out for them so they know exactly what happened...It shows a more vulnerable side to Indy aswell, and could be a way of making him appear more appealing to a female audience because he seems so weak in front of his dad here.
Dad: I don't think so, he's the one that brigns the conversation to the table, if any thing Connery looks weaker than Indiana Jones. I think this is more for the audience than the characters.
(Shows "Luke I am your Father scene)
How does you perception of Luke and Vader change after this scene?
Mum: I think it makes Luke more questionable as a Hero because he is so weak at this stage of the film and I personally felt that it might be setting up Luke to join the Dark side in the next film.
Dad: I think that it makes Vader more deeper as a character, like it reminds us he is a human...or living thin g and not just a black metal suit.
So do you think Vader actually benefits from this scene?
Mum: Yes, because it's not exactly a highlight in the film for Luke.
Dad: Yeah, I'd go along with that.
(shows clip from indy 4 where Marion, Mutt and Indy fight in back of a truck)
How does Indy's behaviour and attitude towards Mutt change when he learns the truth?
Dad: He becomes protective, and tries to immadiately take control over him.
Mum:Yes he does but I think this is the moment when Indy see himself in the boy, theres that shot of him when Mutt gets the knife out and he has that proud parent look, although he doesn't approve of the boy not going to school I think he admires the way the boy acts to the situation.
Dad: You know it's going to end up as a strong relationship because of that and it's a bit like Ford and Connery in the third film and that turned out ok in the end.
Ok thank you.



No comments: